Custom Toys and Action Figures by Blayne

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Project Case Study: Wrestling Character 'Catherine' Custom Figure

I was comissioned back in 2012 by a client to create a 1:12 scale custom wrestling game character, “Catherine.” 

As with many player-created designs, the challenge wasn’t just recreating the form, but translating a highly stylized, on-screen look into something tangible and convincing in physical space.

For the finish, the client wanted a very specific iridescent effect -something that would shift subtly under light rather than read as a flat metallic. To achieve that, I worked with Mr. Hobby paints alongside a series of custom mixes, blending metallic and non-metallic tones. The goal was to build up a mica-like flake effect that would catch highlights without overpowering the underlying colour.

It took a fair amount of layering and testing to strike the right balance, but the end result captured that shifting, game-inspired sheen while still holding up under real-world lighting conditions.






The figure's 'tattoos' were very specific and wouldn't have been as crisp if hand painted. Instead, I approached the design challenge constructively and utilized high-resolution images redrawn in vector format, scaled and printed on inkjet waterslide decal paper. 








To protect the decals from wear, I also applied a technique I’d been developing using an older (now discontinued) formulation of Krazy Glue that didn't frost as it cured. When applied carefully, it forms an ultra-thin, transparent layer over the surface - effectively creating a new protective skin that helps prevent tearing or lifting.

Within the customizing community, this approach is sometimes used to reinforce paint on high-friction areas like sanded joints, but I hadn’t seen it applied to larger, more visible surfaces. Scaling it up required some testing to keep the finish even and avoid unwanted buildup, but it proved surprisingly effective.

Once everything was locked in, the figure was sealed using Mr. Hobby sprays to unify the finish, landing on a balanced matte-to-semi-gloss sheen that preserved both the decals and the underlying paintwork.