FanExpo was a great way to finish off the summer: 4 days of celebrity panels, comics, toys, artists, and costumed fans running around.
![]() |
| By Dan Khanna: http://dan-the-artguy.deviantart.com/ |
FanExpo's Artist Alley was completely booked up this year months in advance - partially due to the allowance for a vendor/artist to renew their booth a year ahead of time. So, without a table I bought the 4-day pass, and wandered about with friends. It was nice to run into convention goers (and a few customers) from previous years, many of which remembered me as the Custom Action Figure guy. ^_^
To pass the time between panels, I had a variety of different artists draw/illustrate different takes on a single character. I got the idea from an abandoned sketchpad at WizardWorld last year. It was filled with different artists drawing of Marvel Comics Wolverine. I thought something similar would be nice to own for an iconic childhood character: Optimus Prime from The Transformers.
I provided some general reference, and some basic direction (full body, or portrait size, color, inked, or sketch, etc.) - and let the artist go to town. Typical turnaround was an hour, sometimes two - and when I returned, another 'Prime was added to my sketchbook. If you see one you like, be sure to visit that artists online portfolio. Most accept commissions, and are very reasonably priced.
![]() |
By Michael Walsh: http://misterwalsh.tumblr.com/ |
![]() |
By Scott Gamble:http://threesidedpolygon.com/ |
![]() |
By Carson Wong:http://carson-drew-it.com/ |
![]() |
| By Agnes Garbowska: http://agnesgarbowska.com/ |
![]() |
| By Michelle Lee:
http://mimee.net/ http://nyanlatte.wordpress.com |
|
| By Ken Wheaton:
http://kenwheatonart.blogspot.ca/ |
![]() |
| By Darryl Graham: http://www.facebook.com/halfawesome |
![]() |
| By SeanyP40: http://seanyp40.deviantart.com/gallery/33781884 |
If any of the artists shown here would like a watermark added to their work, please download the .jpg, add it and email it to me.
Also, if the original artist would like a full-resolution .jpg scan of their work, let me know!
![]() |
FanExpo this year, it was a great experience. The Silver Snail was kind enough to expand my the number of Custom Action Figures on consignment at their Queen Street West location to two entire shelves! I visited the store during their Midnight Madness sale this weekend, and saw the display receiving some very positive attention, one that extended into email correspondence as well.
-Blayne










